The Entrance town centre occupies an area of land that is bounded by water on three sides. The Entrance gains it name from the channel that runs along much of its northern border that is the entrance to The Tuggerah Lakes. The Entrance has been a very popular holiday destination for many people since the first guest house was established in 1885. The Entrance area is currently experiencing enormous growth as a result of small holiday cottages that dominated The Entrance for most of the 20th century being replaced by multi-storey apartment blocks.
In 1999, The Entrance waterfront was named 'The Pelican Capital of Australia' by Wyong Council to coincide with the opening of a pelican feeding platform as part of the waterfront redevelopment. The daily feeding of the pelicans at 3.30 pm daily has been a regular event at The Entrance for around 20 years. The daily practice attracts 20,000 visitors annually. The Entrance is the perfect place for fishing. There are many species of fish that can be found in the area such as whiting, flathead, bream, and blackfish.